Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Egg container result!

In our last three sessions during sculpture class, we had been making an egg container made of toothpicks that would encase and protect an egg even when dropped from the 2nd floor to the first. We stuck the toothpicks together using glue gun, but it was up to us to make the design from scratch and consider how it can protect the egg from breaking.

As you can see from this picture, each container looks very different. (the closest one on lower left is mine)






So, today most of the students including myself finished their artwork, and one by one dropped them from the second floor of our Koa building. This is the view from the 2nd floor:








I got a good pic of mine just before dropping it. I designed it to look like a ball so that it will be strong whatever side it lands on. I also made it to be as big as possible using the minimum number of toothpicks necessary to make it strong enough. It was also designed to be a little bouncy.



And the result of the drop was... a SUCCESS!!
Mine rebounded the most upon impact, and the egg remained unbroken. Most people's containers did pretty well today, all except for three.


I feel sorry for the poor souls whose containers didn't make it, after all the hard work they put into it. I would have felt terrible if this had happened to mine.


container w/ egg: SPLAT!!!

students: "eewwwwww..."






Now my container is hanging in my room as an ornament, though I've already taken the egg out (I don't want it going bad!). Yay for this fun project!

2 Comments:

At 1:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smart girl !!! So proud of you.

 
At 3:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

wow...that's so cool! must have been fun. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home